33ª Semana de Cine Fantástico y de Terror de Donostia / San Sebastian is pleased to announce that this year’s Méliès d’argent competition winner is the short movie titled “The Debutante” (animation, UK 2022) directed by Elizabeth Hobbs.
As a member of the MIFF, San Sebastian Horror and Fantasy Film Festival annually organizes the Méliès d’Argent competition for best European fantastic short film. This competition is a recognition of quality and creativity and generates a unique visibility for the film and their directors. The winners will be put in the spotlight by all the federation’s festivals, including the supporting members. This encourages their spread around the world.
Winners of the Méliès d’Argent also take part in the competition to win the Méliès d’Or, the award that stands for quality, creativity and imagination.
Méliès d’argent Award Winner – San Sebastian 2022
The competition is organized in collaboration with the Méliès International Festivals Federation (MIFF).
The award goes to the best European short movie:
A spirited young woman persuades a hyena from London Zoo to take her place at a dinner dance held in her honour. Their plan requires a surprising amount of artistry and violence. Based on a story by artist Leonora Carrington, Elizabeth Hobbs celebrates her startling tale with paint and collage.
San Sebastian Melies d’argent Shorts Selection 2022
The following films were nominated for the Méliès d’argent:
- Alegrías riojanas (2022). Velasco Broca. Spain. 28 min
- L’isola dei resuscitati morti (2022). Domenico Montixi. Italy. 20 min
- The Debutante (2022). Elizabeth Hobbs. UK (England). 8 min
- Fishwife (2021). Beth Park. UK (Wales). 18 min
- La Nourrice (2021). Arnold de Parscau. France. 16 min
- Phlegm (2021). Jan-David Bolt. Switzerland. 6 min
- Sabbat (2022). Alexandra Mignien. France. 14 min
- Zombie Meteor (2022). Alfonso Fulgencio, José Luis Farias. Spain. 14 min