FANCINE – FANTASTIC FILM FESTIVAL is organized entirely by the University of Malaga, a public institution that has among its basic functions the transmission and criticism of the culture. A total of 83 films has been screened this year at FANCINE, including the Albéniz sessions, simultaneous screenings during the week of the festival and pre-festival events. Leading the list is the competitive section, which offers a varied selection of current genre films, with works by Quentin Dupieux, Carlos Vermut, Neil Marshall, Jaume Balagueró and Park Chan-wook, among others. This has been joined by the different categories that sort the selected films by genre and taste, and which also included thematic references to ‘environmental fear’ as the cross-cutting theme of the 32nd edition.
FANCINE is an adherent member of the Méliès International Festivals Federation (MIFF), and as such, nominates in every edition a European short film for the Méliès d’or Award in its category.
Méliès d’argent Award Winner – Fancine Malaga 2022
The competition is organized in collaboration with the Méliès International Festivals Federation (MIFF).
The award goes to the best European short movie:
by Raphaëlle Stolz
France / Switzerland, 2022
A spirited young woman persuades a hyena from London Zoo to take her place at a dinner dance held in her Jasmin sees a fist-sized hole in a brick wall. She’s hypnotically drawn to it and can’t focus on anything else. An increasingly morbid obsession begins, until the hole suddenly disappears.
Fancine Malaga Melies d’argent Shorts Selection 2022
The following films were nominated for the Méliès d’argent:
- Rise and shine, Arnaud Baur, Switzerland, 2022, 11:00
- For Pete’s sake, Gerald B. Fillmore, Spain, 2022, 13:00
- Darker, Frank van den Bogaart, Belgium, 2021, 14:45
- 665, Juan De Dios Garduño, Spain, 2022, 9:59
- The black recat, Paolo Gaudio, Italy, 2022, 5:44
- Saint Android, Lukas von Berg, Germany, 2021, 6:10
- Mr Xifro Morning, Marc Riba, Anna Solanas, Spain, 2022, 5:00
- It dawns the longest night, Carlos Fernández de Vigo, Lorena Ares Lago, Spain, 2022, 9:00
- Memento mori, Paul O’Flanagan, Ireland, 2021, 8:46
- Miracasas, Raphaëlle Stolz, Switzerland, 2022, 13:40